Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Monday cleared the path for 21-year-old Bidhan Barua to undergo a sex reassignment surgery. Guwahati based Barua had approached the Bombay High Court after his family threatened him when he was in Mumbai for his operation.
This comes after the state and the centre government told the court they had no objection to such a procedure.
Last month in the petition, Bhidan, who feels he is a woman trapped in a man's body, had urged the court to restrain his parents from prohibiting him to undergo sex change operation.
Bhidan in his petition also said that his parents were threatening him and his doctors over the surgery.
When the court deferred the hearing last week, Bhidan wrote letters to Chief Justice of India, Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and National Human Rights Commission urging them to intervene and grant him a favourable order so that he could undergo the sex change surgery or else he will commit suicide.
However, the Bombay High Court took strong exception to his letter. The court, while not granting a restraining order against his family, did direct the police to assess any threat to him and provide protection.
Bidhan is now all set to undergo sex reassignment in June when the case comes up for hearing again. Bidhan plans to press for clear guidelines for others like him.