Mumbai: Holi celebrations took a tragic turn in Mumbai on Thursday. For more than 150 families in Mumbai's Dharavi it was certainly not a happy Holi after their children were admitted to Sion Hospital for colour poisoning.
The hospital saw a steady stream of children and young adults who complained of allergic reactions. The patients were administered anti-toxicity medicines and most of them are out of danger but 10 patients are serious.
The incident occurred around 12.30 pm in Shastrinagar area of Dharavi when several children playing Holi started complaining of giddiness and vomiting.
"The children, mostly in age group of 9-10 years, were rushed in to the municipal hospital and slowly more and more cases started pouring in," a hospital source said, adding the blood samples of the affected persons including children were collected.
Meanwhile, police have registered a case of negligence against unknown persons.
"We have registered a case against unknown persons", Deputy Commissioner of Police Dhananjay Kulkarni said without elaborating.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has ordered a detailed probe by a six-member committee into the incident of colour infection.
Government sources said all the victims were out of danger.
With Additional Inputs from PTI